2007 JET Podcast
Some helpful hints from folks already on the JET Programme. It covers all of those very specific things that you really need to know but may have forgotten to ask or that you just couldn't find answers to. Click here.

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Camping at Mt. Yotei




According to Wikipedia, Mt. Yotei is a volcano located in Shikotsku-Toya National Park. A few weeks ago, I went camping right at the base of it for the Hokkaido Southwest Welcome Party. Had a really great time. I had been looking forward to it as I had never really been camping before. I bought this most awesome and huge tent and stuff -- you know the typical one a person who has never really been camping would get.





We arrived on a Saturday. I rode in a cramped car with Jennie, Leslie, and Brent. It was a really fun drive. Stopped at some great restaurant that served delicious Chinese style rice. After getting to the camp grounds and getting set up, we realized that everyone (and more) could fit into my gigantic tent, so that's what ended up happening.




There was a big barbecue that night with much drinking and making noise and inviting the other Japanese campers to come over and join us.
The next day, some people went on the 8 hour hike of Yotei, but I was a bit too lazy. I was also too lazy to do the paintball thing that many others did. Instead, my group went to Kutchan in search of great pizza which we found and it was really great. Then we went to an onsen in Niseko. Niseko is a foreigners heaven because almost all of the signs are in English because (I hear) the population is more Australian than it is Japanese. Will definitely be going back for snow season because Niseko is littered with ski resorts.

0 what do you have to say...: